In chatting with Deric yesterday, he told Felycia that he had been on splits with the Mission President. We thought that sounded cool until he explained that President Viers needed to spend some time and the office and so did Deric so they went together. "Splits with the President" sounds more impressive.
Brother and Sister Tobler are from out stake. They have been serving in Guatemala. Brother Tobler is a dentist so they are part of a medical brigade in Central America. Deric got to see them this last week. Apparently, there have been many latin missionaries who have got into the field without proper medical checks so they do these checks a few times a year. Deric stood in as a translator. I guess the language has come along quite well. He said that there were of about 40 dentists, 4 oral surgeons, 3 doctors, a podiatrist, an all of their assistants. About 120 people in all. This time it was in Northern Honduras. Here is what Deric told us about the week.
"They change the country and place every time. It was really cool. There really isn´t much else to the story. There were tons of miracles that happened. Especially in pre-op. Everybody has a really bad fear about getting their wisdom teeth out. A ton asked for blessings before going in. There were other little things that made all the difference. Cleanliness was one of them. It really was sooo much fun to be there and be around a ton of gringos. There were also a ton of really hilarious things that happened. Almost all of the doctors that were there had their own style of music. Somebody was a little worried about it "because there were missionaries there". President Veirs´s response was that it was fine. "They won´t know the music anyway," is what he said. I got to use a ray gun. I felt like one of those really old cartoon characters. It was an x-ray gun. I spent some time translating in the room where they were doing the dental x-rays. One of the assistants went to dinner and I got asked to step in...and use a ray gun. Somebody was taking a video and I turned to the camera and said in the Arnold Schwarzeneger accent, "I am the x-ray taker." All of the doctors cracked up. It was perfect."
That last part is sooooooo 'Deric.'
Only 27 days until we get to talk to our missionary. Only 19 days until our college student is home for 3 weeks. Conrad and I both took off the week after Christmas so we can just hang out as a little family. Works great for us. Unfortunately, neither one of us get paid for the week either. Conrad's contract requires furlough days that week and I'm part time so no work = no pay. At least we're prepared.
1 comment:
I was just looking at a friend on FB's pictures from Honduras. He is one of the dentists that went on the trip to help out. He does this every year. I will try to send you the link to his pictures. I looked for Deric in the pictures, but didn't see him.
Fun post!
Post a Comment