Saturday, November 20, 2010

Youth Conference - The Benson & Call Handcart Companies

Last weekend was Youth Conference in the Sandstone Stake. We did a handcart trek up near Zion Canyon in Southern Utah. It was amazing. Great experiences for all the kids who participated. The leaders were strengthened by the the faith of the youth. It was a trek so it was hard. There were times when the kids didn't think they could go on, But someone would step up and help.

During the hardest hill at the end of the first day, "angels" came out of the trees to help get the carts to the top. After eating just broth for dinner, they were told of a "rescue" coming to help them. Chicken stew, hot chocolate, and apple crisp arrived just in time.

At one time, some of the kids said, "I wish Deric Larkin was our age. He would have just taken the cart up the hill all by himself." Deric is strong, but the carts weighed close to 600 lbs fully loaded.

As the Mormon Battalion left and the girls pushed on by themselves, they were promised miracles. Some of the girls reported that their carts were moving but they weren't really pushing and pulling them. Miracles did happen.

The testimony meeting on Sunday was great. The bishops passed the sacrament to a huge turnout. They had to open the overflow and then they had to set up chairs in the gym and open those doors, too. I couldn't believe it. We haven't had that kind of turn out for a Youth Conference testimony meeting for a long time.

The fireside on Sunday night was fun, too. The slide show was really good, too. Brother Marelli, Brother Whiting and others contributed photos. Brother Marelli has posted all of his on the internet. I've looked through them and have found some that I'm going to try to download and post. I will make sure to give credit where credit is due. I also have video and photos that I did. They will be posted later.

All in all, it was a really fun weekend. It was cold and we were all tired, and hungry at times. I didn't do the whole trek because of a previous injury, but I walked the last 3 miles or so. I understand it was the easiest part of the whole 2 days, but it was all I could do.

No comments: