Sunday, February 12, 2012

Resolutions

Well, I set myself up for failure. I know I'm really bad about updating my blog. I shouldn't have promised monthly updates.

Here is what's up with us. It's not much. We are pretty boring at our house.

Conrad has been studying for the last month to re-do his SANS computer security certification. Our house has been really quiet as he has gone through all the information at least 3 times. Now, he just has to schedule the big 6 hour test.

Annalee is working and playing. I love my job at Mirabelli. I get to be creative, talk to lots of different people every day, and spend time with my friends. I have my hands into a few little craft projects right now. I am making baby quilts for a friend to give to her niece who is having twin girls. The quilts are adorable. I went to St. George on February 1st to teach the YA girls how to make a simple fabric bag. I put the kits together and they got to sew them that night. I've made 3 bags myself now. I'm thinking about making some more so I have one to match any color scheme and every holiday. I've also been making felt flowers to wear as pins on a scarf or as a barrette. They are lots of fun. I am in the middle of an afghan for a friend's new grandbaby. It keeps me busy and out of trouble. I enjoy creative things because I have a great sense of satisfaction in seeing a finished project. One day, I might make something to keep. I seem to end up giving everything I make to someone else.

Deric is working and going to school. He plans to have 2 associate degrees in December. He is at CSN and has just done a project that included a presentation at the Planetarium. The college had some grant money from NASA to use models of the machines of Da Vinci to explain simple physics. It was open to all student who have completed a specific engineering class. Deric built a model of a paddleboat and then borrowed equipment from the physics lab to demonstrate how a spring works. He also had to create a brochure about his project and the physics involved. For his efforts, he gets a check for $100 from NASA. Deric works for the City of Las Vegas as a SafeKey cashier. He is spending every morning and most afternoons at O'Roarke Elementary School. It's hard to get up in the mornings, but a regular paycheck and some job experience is great for him.

Felycia will graduate from Dixie State College with her bachelors' in Elementary Education in December. She is working hard in her classes and her practicum teaching. She also works on Friday afternoons teaching tumbling and cheer classes at a dance studio. She usually loves it, but working with children is always a challenge. I think right now, she is having lots more trouble dealing with roommates, though. She is totally ready to be in her own bedroom with space she can call her own. It's getting harder and harder to do her school stuff because she really needs to spread it out to work on it and there isn't any space to do it in a small apartment. I just keep telling her that she can do it until May.

We are planning a trip to Ohio sometime this fall or winter. I think my parents want the whole family together for Thanksgiving, but I don't think we can swing it. All four of us will be working on Wednesday and then back on Monday. Three days isn't worth the cost of the trip. I think we will try for at least a week at Christmas instead.

It seems that I just repeat myself in every post. Not a whole lot changes. We just keep plugging along and doing the best we can.

No comments: