Friday, December 30, 2011

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

The year is coming to a close and it is a time for an update.

Felycia will graduate from Dixie State College in 1 year with a bachelors' degree in elementary education. She found out earlier this month that she passed the PRAXIS test. She has to pass in order to get a teaching license. Not only did she pass, but she scored in the top 15% of all people who have taken the test. That got her an extra certificate to go in her portfolio. I don't sound like a proud mom, do I?
Deric plans to graduate with 2 associates' degrees from College of Southern Nevada at the same time. (Pre-engineering and Spanish) He works as a SafeKey cashier at O'Roarke Elementary School. He tries to use his Spanish sometimes, but Latinos don't understand Spanish from a gringo, even if it is perfect Spanish. Funny how that works.
Conrad is plugging along as the bishop of our ward. For now, his job is fairly secure and quite hectic. He has good days and bad days as far as his health is concerned. More good than bad, though. The last colonoscopy came back ok but he is much lighter than he was a year ago. He and Deric wear almost the same size pants. Not a good thing for Deric.
I have a new calling. I was released from YW and called to be a Family History Consultant. I am still working part-time at the front desk at Mirabelli and staying busy with my yarn and fabric.

We have enjoyed being together as a family this past week. We enjoyed church meetings and family time on Christmas. Then, we packed up the car and headed to Long Beach, California for a few days to just get away and relax. What fun!! We got a new book on CD to listen to. It was a sequel so we had to listen to Part 1 on the way down and then the new one on the way home.

We had a great time shopping at Shoreline Village. We took a drive to the LA Temple Visitors' Center one evening. We spent most of one day at the Aquarium of the Pacific. I highly recommend this one. We had a ball and we don't even have little kids to take with us. We were there for about 6 hours. They have shows and exhibits and shopping. It was quite crowded by the time we left because all the kids are out of school. We would like to go back sometime when there might not be so many people.

We walked around the waterfront area and up to the lighthouse to take pictures of the QueenMary and the surrounding sights. It was almost sunset when we got back to the car so we drove up to the top of the parking garage to get some cool shots before heading back to the hotel for a rest before dinner.

One of the coolest things we did in Long Beach is that we went to the grocery store downtown and the parking was up on the roof. I think this is the first time I have ever had to take an elevator down to shop for food. Another interesting thing is that plastic grocery bags are a no-no in Long Beach. You have to have your own bags or pay for paper ones at the checkout. Luckily, we had some bags in the trunk of the car. Not that we needed one for our two bags of Hostess Donettes.

We enjoyed the BYU football game today. At least the last 2 minutes of it. I think that was the only exciting part. I love this time of year because it is non-stop sports. Basketball...football...soccer...I love it all. Now, if I could just have no interruptions and the house all to myself to watch.

Time for a New Year's Resolution: I will update my blog at least once a month in 2012. That will be easier to keep than the standard diet and exercise resolutions. Well, it's written down now so I have to keep it. And all my friends and family know about it so it's ok to bug me if I'm not keeping it.

Happy New Year!!!

No comments: