Sunday, May 8, 2011

Missionary Phone Call

As we were just sitting in the family room this evening, Conrad's cell phone rang. He answered and heard, "Dad, turn on a computer." It was Deric calling from Honduras to tell us that he could Skype today. We quickly booted up the computer and waited for him to be online. He called and we were able to visit for about an hour. Deric had used the zone leader's phone to make the call and they were at a member's home in Choluma to use the internet. There is no internet in Deric's area.

First of all, about 3 weeks ago, Deric e-mailed to say that he had left his Driver's License, personal ATM card, temple recommend, and a copy of his passport on the bus. I was notified within 30 minutes of it happening so it wasn't really a problem. I cancelled the ATM card and got to work on the replacement driver's license. Well, today, I was showing Deric the new license that came on Friday. It doesn't have a picture, it says "Signature on File," and it says "Valid Without Photo." It is a cool license. Deric held something up to the camera. It was the driver's license that had been lost. I asked how he found it and he told us that it found him. This last week, he and his companion were walking on the highway when a bus passed them and pulled over to wait for them to pass. As they passed, the driver stuck his head out of the window and showed them the cards and asked if it was one of their companions (that's what non-members call all missionaries). Deric looked at the stuff and said, "That's me." What a tender mercy from our Heavenly Father. However, the ATM card won't work and the new one isn't there yet. Oh, well. As stingy as that kid is, I'm sure he still has cash he took to Honduras with him about 21 months ago.

We were able to talk about some of the things we all want to do while we are there. Felycia wants to go to Copan (ruins from the Mayans). I told Deric I want to go to the beach. I just want to dip my feet in the water to say I've been in the Caribbean. There is a waterfall south of San Pedro Sula that we are planning to visit. We asked Deric about going to church while we are there. He said that we would probably like to go someplace with air conditioning. That might be nice. The temperature is generally in the 90's with 80% humidity. I just might die while we are there. We also want to do plenty of shopping. I told Deric about a handicraft mall I've read about. As I was telling him about it, he looked like he knew what I was talking about. He said that he knows a man who has a shop there. He's going to try to find out exactly where his shop is so we can be sure to visit. We want to support those members who are trying to support their families.

Deric would like to visit some of his areas. He told us that as of now, the furthest area from San Pedro Sula is about 3 hours in the car. That won't be too bad. Deric was worried that going to Copan will be too expensive. He said that it costs $25 to get into the ruins and then tours and stuff are extra cost. We told him that we were looking at a tour that includes transportation from our hotel, a bi-lingual guide, bottled water, lunch, entrance to the ruins and some other sites for $100 per person. I don't think anyone there spends that much money for a single thing. I could tell by Deric's face that $100 is a whole lot of money. He will be in shock when he gets home and sees how much gas costs.

Felycia and I just kept laughing as Deric spoke. He has an accent now that I haven't noticed before. His English is still good, but it's different. A young man in our ward returned from his mission in El Salvador about 1 1/2 years ago. Deric sounds just like him. He said it is probably because he is teaching English classes now and has to speak a lot slower for the natives to understand.

It was fun to visit with our missionary today so we can still e-mail with him tomorrow afternoon. We can hardly wait to see him in just a few weeks.

1 comment:

Travis and Rhonda said...

Sounds fun!! Glad you got to visit over Skype--it just seems more real that way!