Felycia came home for Spring Break on March 13. She didn't want to miss church because she had just missed for Ohio. Becky had given her a cook book while we were in Ohio. It's for cake pops. I don't know who may have heard of them, but we had to give it a try. Because it's Felycia, we made the ladybugs. I hate to say it, but the photos are much cuter than they really were. They weren't bad to eat. They were just a little too sweet with the candy coating and frosting mixed in with the crumbled cake.
I have also planted my flowers for the spring. I found snapdragons this year. I was excited because they remind me of my grandparents. I remember them at the Flinders' and the Reynolds'. Grandma Reynolds taught us to take the flowers off the plant and make them talk by squeezing them. I made sure I had some orange and some purple to remind me of the kids. I love my little garden spot with my bench. It makes me smile whenever I see it.
In our part of town, the RedRock Stake hosted the 2nd annual "Formal" dance. Basically, it's a Mormon Prom. The boys ask the girls, or the girls go blind if they don't get asked. Then, a date is arranged from the other side of town. Fancy dresses, hair, flowers, and dinner are involved. One of the young ladies from my ward needed some help with a dress, shoes and hair. I borrowed the dress from a friend, bought some new sandals, and had her come over to get her hair done. She did the blind date and had a great time with a young man from Henderson. She came to church the next morning just because she had promised she would. The dance was on the 16th floor of the World Market Center near downtown Las Vegas. They had lots of fun and the young man treated Megan like a princess. That's kind of the point of the dance - to teach the young men how to treat the young women and to teach the young women how to be gracious about it. I was impressed that all the priests from our ward were at church fulfilling their Priesthood responsibilities by 9am. I know some of them didn't get home until 1am. I'm glad we have such great young men and young women in our ward.
One of the full time staff at work has been reassigned. Lalaine will be starting at the SafeKey offices on Monday so we had a little going away party for her on Friday. She didn't know about it. She was in with the teen group and the boss pulled her out to ask her about something. The teens went into the kitchen where the food and gifts were. We all yelled, "Surprise!" when she came in. It was really nice. We will miss her at Mirabelli.
Lalaine with the teens
With Jill and Vanessa
She liked her poster so much that she decided to wear it for a little while.
Our college student is doing well. Felycia showed up at her practicum last week and the teacher said, "I have to leave at 11:30 today so you get to teach this afternoon." Felycia was worried, but she did just fine. After a big group presentation, Felycia went to give a book back to the teacher and the teacher said, "I need to visit with you." Felycia thought back over the presentation and couldn't think of what she might have done wrong so she was nervous. The teacher told her that she had done a great job. She was in command, and spoke up with confidence. The teacher was surprised because Felycia is usually so quiet. The compliment was a boost to Felycia's confidence.
Deric is still loving his mission. We enjoy getting to chat with him every Monday. I usually take my laptop to work and log on to the community Internet. I chat in between customers and phone calls. He had a couple of baptisms last week. One was a big surprise. A lady had set a date for later in April, but she told the missionaries that she couldn't wait that long so they did it right away. Deric is telling us a few things we need to do when we come. Conrad tells me I should just leave it alone until we get to talk on Mother's Day because Deric should be focusing on his mission, not the vacation when we get there. I suppose he's right. I'm just excited.
Last, but not least - We are totally planning our trip to Honduras to pick Deric up from his mission. We are finalizing the dates and times for flights and figuring out the hotel and rental car and what sightseeing we want to do. Gary Richins gave me a book a little while ago about the Mayan civilization. I am really excited to go to Copan, some Mayan ruins in western Honduras. I have a new friend, Nelly who comes to Mirabelli on Wednesdays to walk. She is from Honduras so she gave me tips on food, sights, and souvenirs. I'm glad I will get to visit with her a few more times before we leave. I will make sure to have tons of pictures when we get home. Another "once in a lifetime" trip for us. I wonder where the next one might be...
No comments:
Post a Comment