Friday, October 30, 2009

Missionary Update

Well, just the same old stuff for Deric. Teaching, baptizing, interviews, a wedding, soccer, etc. I have just found out that Deric's companion is the District Leader so they do a lot of baptismal interviews.

There were 4 earthquakes in Honduras over about an 8 day period. Deric felt nothing. Maybe he is a little dizzy so it doesn't affect him. He did say that they need to be ready to evacuate from his area to San Pedro Sula in case of flooding. It rained for 23 hours straight one day.

New missionaries arrived in transfers in October. One was a greenie sister so Deric says he isn't the baby missionary anymore. I reminded him that the sister was 2 years older than him so he is still the baby.

Some members challenged the missionaries to a soccer match on Monday. Deric and his companion went to another area in their zone to help. They were able to beat the members.

The package I sent at the end of September finally arrived. It took about 3 weeks. Not too bad. Deric called me insane for all the stuff I crammed into the box. I wanted to make sure I got my money's worth on the shipping cost. It was about $42.00 to send $40.00 worth of stuff.

I told Deric all of our travel plans for the trip to Kenya. He reminded me that we will be going through the same airport where he called us on his way to Honduras. I thought he was in Houston when he called, but it was Dallas/Ft. Worth.

A few weeks ago, Honduras played in El Salvador for World Cup qualifying. They had to beat El Salvador and hope for at least a tie between the United States and Costa Rica. Well, the US tied the score in stoppage time so Honduras qualified for the World Cup next summer. Deric said that people were coming up to him on the street and thanking him for being an American. Quite a difference from when the US beat Honduras in San Pedro Sula. The Honduran people were slow to forgive on that one.

He loves his mission and can't believe he has been in Honduras for two months. He says the time is passing too quickly. I don't think it is TOO quickly, but it is going fast.

No comments: